Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Lost Weekend, Part II

Well hello readers! We are back for round two of my Connecticut weekend of frivolity and I’m happy to serve it all to ya! In this second installment you may notice some slight changes on our little website, namely now you’ll be able to click directly on a restaurant’s name to get to that review. Revolutionary I know. But what’s behind my new proficiency in web design, you may ask? Well… I recently took a course at the Maine College of Art in web design and I learned a heck of a lot, namely how to use the great templates provided by Blogger better and faster. So enjoy the fruits of my colligate labor and the fresh, efficient new layout!

So, on to the review. Today we are highlighting a Stonington Borough, CT institution Noah’s.

Noah’s
113 Water Street
Stonington, CT 06378

The Novice Fork gives this spot
4 Forks for its neighborhood feel,
great food, and chilled out atmosphere

The outside of Noah's, cute right?

On the sleep deprived last day of my weekend, desperately seeking a nap or a chocolate shake, my friend decided to take me and his main squeeze to Noah’s, in Stonington Borough. Established in 1979, Noah’s is the type of neighborhood spot reserved for and revered by the locals and tuned in tourists who know where to go. The first thing you may notice about this joint is that the entire restaurant is covered in art and colorful gimcracks one can only accumulate over many years. Plaques, paintings of the restaurant, costal Connecticut memorabilia and wood paneling adorn the walls, the bar is deep and comfy, and the tables are sunlit and well worn. This pleasant scene is continued when greeted with the very friendly and casual (while at times, a tad slow) service, especially at the bar where it seems everyone actually knows your name.

On any given Sunday they have a brunch, lunch and dinner menu and I’m sure whatever you order off of any of these menus would be delicious. Having had French toast earlier that day, I thought a salad would be a better fit for me so I ordered the garden salad. Smart move. Mine was composed of field greens, tomatoes, sautéed mushrooms and red onion, dressed in vinaigrette. Simple and classic. My friend ordered the bacon and onion quiche with a side arugula salad, and his girlfriend ordered the Asian noodle bowl which looked incredible and tasted good too, I had to test it of course. My cohorts enjoyed a beer or two and I couldn’t possibly, but several glasses of water were my drink of desperate choice. The prices arfe right here too, my salad was only $6 and just the right amount of food.   

All and all, the service, food and atmosphere here makes one understand Noah’s longevity and the reason locals and visitors keep coming back. Its only shortcoming could be that restrooms, past the kitchen (which is awkward), are so small you need to sit on the toilet to wash your hands. But if you’re an optimistic person, this only adds to the charm of this, well, charming little restaurant. 4 Forks it is, but just because you’re so damn cute, Noah’s. Eat here now!

Great, now we have the end of my time in CT. I’m as sad as you that my time there was so brief, but have no fear. I’ll be back soon and I know Mystic and its surrounding communities will be ready. (Or god I hope so)

Words for the day…

Only this. With so much negativity in the world currently, any break for you is well worth it. Take a lunch break from a hectic day, reconnect with an old friend, and enjoy any quiet moment you can. Don’t worry, be happy now. (Or eat chocolate.) Have a great one all!  

No comments:

Post a Comment